The Transportation Consortium of South-Central States (Tran-SET) is currently soliciting research problem statements for its sixth-cycle of funding. The problem statements will aid in achieving our Vision and Mission:
Vision: Address the accelerated deterioration of the transportation infrastructure through the development, evaluation, and implementation of cutting-edge technologies, novel materials, and innovative construction management processes
Mission: Conduct all phases of research, technology transfer, education, workforce development, and outreach activities as to solve transportation challenges in Region 6 and support implementation
We welcome both applied and theoretical problem statements that address Tran-SET’s four research themes:
- Enhancing Durability and Service Life of Infrastructure;
- Preserving Existing Transportation Systems;
- Preserving the Environment; and
- Addressing Region 6 Transportation Needs.
Specifically, the problem statements must address Tran-SET’s following research objectives:
- Objective 1: Extend the life of the existing transportation infrastructure through the application of emerging technologies in materials and construction;
- Objective 2: Promote sustainability and resiliency of the transportation infrastructure renewal and upgrade;
- Objective 3: Introduce and implement cost-effective solutions to the transportation infrastructure backlog of projects;
- Objective 4: Develop cost-effective solutions for the construction and maintenance of the transportation infrastructure in metropolitan and rural areas;
- Objective 5: Enhance the resiliency of the transportation infrastructure in the event of extreme weather events; and
- Objective 6: Promote workforce development through learning and continuous education.
Problem statements will be ranked by their potential benefits and eventual impacts on workforce development and educational activities that focus on the evaluation and implementation of advanced technologies in the transportation industry. Funding priority will be given to problem statements addressing materials, preservation, climate resilience, reconnecting communities following infrastructure reconstruction, broadband in rural areas and its impact on future traffic, impact of car pooling on greenhouse gases, impact of automated vehicles on future traffic, impact of working from home on future traffic, and underserved/underinvested communities.
Please see the solicitation and problem statement forms below. There are two forms: (1) a detailed form for Principal Investigators/researchers and (2) a simplified form for members of the Center Advisory Board (CAB) and other community/agency leaders.
Submission of Detailed Form: Any and all Principal Investigators/researchers are welcomed to submit problem statements (using the detailed form), including those not part of Tran-SET or not located within Region 6. However, problem statements selected after review/ranking that were submitted by institutions not part of Tran-SET (including those in Region 6), will move forward as an open request for proposal (RFP). Only institutions within Region 6 (including those not part of Tran-SET) will be able to apply to an open RFP. Problem statements selected after review/ranking that were submitted by Principal Investigators/researchers part of Tran-SET will not have an open RFP.
Problem Statement Form (Detailed – For Principal Investigators/researchers)
Submission of Simplified Form: Any and all CAB members and other community/agency leaders are welcomed to submit problem statements (using the simplified form), including those not associated with Tran-SET or not located within Region 6. However, all problem statements selected after review/ranking that were submitted using the simplified form will move forward as an open RFP.
Problem Statement Form (Simplified – For CAB members and other community/agency leaders)
Problem statements submitted by August 15, 2021 will be considered for our sixth-cycle of funding (estimated project start of May, 2022). Please e-mail the appropriate completed form (as both a Word and PDF document) directly to Tran-SET at email@example.com.
Please do not hesitate to contact Dr. Momen Mousa by phone at (225) 424-9250 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or assistance in completing the problem statement forms.