Tran-SET holds a year-round, open solicitation for problem statements. Each year a deadline will be defined for the upcoming funding cycle (see below for current deadline). Problem statements submitted before the deadline will be considered for that year’s funding cycle; problem statements submitted after will be considered for the next funding cycle.
The problem statements will aid in achieving Tran-SET’s Mission of “conducting all phases of research, technology transfer, workforce development, and outreach activities as to solve transportation challenges in Region 6 and support implementation“. We welcome both applied and theoretical problem statements that address Tran-SET’s four Research Themes. Specifically, the problem statements must address Tran-SET’s following research objectives:
- Objective 1: Extend the life of the existing transportation infrastructure through the application of emerging technologies in materials and construction;
- Objective 2: Promote sustainability and resiliency of the transportation infrastructure renewal and upgrade;
- Objective 3: Introduce and implement cost-effective solutions to the transportation infrastructure backlog of projects;
- Objective 4: Develop cost-effective solutions for the construction and maintenance of the transportation infrastructure in metropolitan and rural areas;
- Objective 5: Enhance the resiliency of the transportation infrastructure in the event of extreme weather events; and
- Objective 6: Promote workforce development through learning and continuous education.
Proposers should allocate 6 months after completion of the technical phase(s) of the project for implementation, education, workforce development, and technology transfer activities. At least 10% of the funding requested shall be allocated for these activities and can only be spent during the implementation phase.
Tran-SET highly encourages collaboration among Region 6 universities; therefore, priority will be given to projects that involve multi-institutions (that represent collaboration between at least two institutions). The research problem statements will be ranked by their potential benefits and eventual impacts on workforce development and educational activities that focus on the evaluation and implementation of advanced technologies in the transportation industry.
Please see the solicitation and problem statement forms below. There are two forms: (1) a simplified form for members of the Center Advisory Board (CAB) and other community/agency leaders and (2) a detailed form for Principal Investigators. The simplified form should be e-mailed directly to Tran-SET at email@example.com. The detailed form should be completed and submitted online via the webpage link.
Problem statements submitted by August 25th, 2018 will be considered for our third-cycle of funding (estimated project start of February 2019). Problem statements submitted afterwards will be compiled for consideration for our fourth-cycle of funding.
Solicitation and Problem Statement Form (Simplified – For CAB members only)
Solicitation and Problem Statement Form (Detailed – For Principal Investigators)
Webpage to Complete and Submit Form (Detailed – For Principal Investigators)
Please do not hesitate to contact Mr. Christopher Melson by phone at (225) 578-3805 or e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org for any questions or assistance in completing the problem statement forms.